Sunday, March 3, 2013

One of these things is not like the other..


So, one of our DBB is a big fan of Sam's Yams. Are you familiar with them? They are dried sweet potato slices. They are really expensive. You may have heard that vets aren't actually raking it in right now... so, you know, I figured maybe I could recreate these slices of heaven for DBB using the tools I have on hand in my kitchen - the oven, a knife, and some sweet potatoes. How hard can it be?

Well, it turns out it doesn't seem to be that hard. I read this article and I'm hoping that I can give this a try later today. I just have to get some sweet potatoes. But anyway, when I got down to the bottom, there was one of those "more articles like this" sections. Here's a screenshot:



One of these things just isn't the same...

Dude. The one on the right.  WTF?? Not about sweet potatoes! Not about food preparation or storage! Not in any way similar to the original article. Also, not particularly enlightening, if you go there and click through.... but honestly I wouldn't bother.

Anyway - anyone reading this ever made home-prepared dried sweet potato slices for his or her pooch? Any other healthy snacks your DBB loves? VBB Home Base could use some inspiration. Drop me a comment, or tweet@me!

8 comments:

  1. Try just plain ole carrots! My 3 hooligans adore them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO EASY! This VBB is on intern salary so I feel the pain. 2 medium/large sweet potatoes (I don't bother peeling them) - cut off gross ends then keep slicing 1/4" coins from each end until you get more of an even rectangle shape. Cut 1/4" slices lengthwise. Place in single layer on baking sheet and cook at 200F in oven for 8ish hours/overnight. Flip about halfway through. The first time I used veggie oil/salt and since then I've left them naked. DBB doesn't seem to care either way! Cheaper and much less scary than the duck/chicken jerky treats she loves. ARF/Fanconi? Ain't nobody got time for that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one on the left. It doesn't have the word "dog" in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raw carrots or apples! Cheese, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet potato? No.
    Carrots? All the time, cubes boiled/ slices baked or dehydrated.
    Banana? Freeze it overnight in freezer with skin on, remove skin before feeding. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unsweetened banana chips, cheap and easy. I can get them at co-op for $2/lb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have a dehydrator, or don't mind tying up your oven for long periods of time, you can make jerky meat and vegi treats easy. Sweet potatos, or meat strips or whatever floats your boat. If you're doing it in your oven you'll want to set it to its lowest temp and be prepared to have it tied up for at least 8hrs if not alot longer. I make almost all my dogs' treats these days rather than risk the recalls. Nothing fancy, no seasonings, just plain meat or sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frozen peas, preferably served individually. My dog is weirdly dainty about food, though.

    ReplyDelete