Let me tell you a little about Sally. Sally is a 2 year old Labrador Retriever who has the energy of 10 dogs. She can't focus, she has ADD and she is just all-around naughty. But she's a sweetheart, a marshmallow to the core, and we love her.
She had parvo as a pup and we barely saved her. It took nearly 10 days in the hospital to do it, but she came through with flying colors.
She ate a battery once and ended up in the ER. Survived that.
She ate plastic once and survived that.
She ate a plastic pencil sharpener once. Survived that.
Yesterday her owner called and said, "Sally ate a quarter! She picked it up and before the owner could get it back, down it went. So they called us, and we had her come down.
She also grabbed a whole bunch of dog food right before leaving the house. Vacuum cleaner, I tell ya.
Anyway, we induced emesis (vomiting) when she arrived. Given her history, we weren't even sure it was JUST a quarter. Sally's owner waited in the lobby for us to tell him what we found, and whether or not we needed to do xrays.
Up came the vomit. My techs had the wonderful job of digging through the warm pile of frothy dog food, looking for foreign bodies and quarters.
We found a nickel. A nickel amidst a smelly pile of partially digested dog food. Yay!
So I went up to the lobby to tell the owner that it was actually a nickel she'd eaten, not a quarter. But she would be fine and could go home.
The owner laughed and said, "Oh my! We've been robbed! It was a nickel, not a quarter!"