Sunday, September 15, 2013

Book review - just for fun

What with all of the no-shows we've had lately here at the Greatest Animal Hospital in the World aka VBB Central, I've had time to do a little bit of light reading. I know, right? FREE TIME?? Crazy. But I, Dr. VBB, am a voracious reader, and since my good friend Dr. Grumpy had recently recommended a book to me, that's what I picked up the other day when Ms. MyTimeIsMoreValuableThanYours blew me off, leaving a 3-dog hole in my afternoon.  I continued reading when Mr. Liar McLiarson and his crew (1 dog, 2 cats) no-showed due to his allegedly being robbed at gunpoint in a shopping mall 2 miles from VBB Central just moments before his appointment (seriously, Mr. McLiarson has a history of telling big fat whoppers). Anyway. I liked the book so I thought I'd share!

It's called The Devil Wears Scrubs, by Frieda McFadden, aka Dr. Fizzy. Obviously the title gives a nod to Lauren Weisberger's The Devil Wears Prada, but this is an altogether different book. Dr. McFadden paints a vivid picture of the hellish life of the first-year medical resident. I do believe that anyone who has ever experienced life as a newbie to clinical hospital medicine will be able to fully relate to "newly minted doctor Jane McGill," as she figures out how to take care of her patients, how to find things, how to requisition things, and most importantly how to present cases and lab reports and so on to the devil in scrubs who is her boss.

As I read this book, I was reminded of a time when I had been at the hospital since 3 AM, and it was now about 7 AM, and my attending was asking me to tell him about the antibiotics that my patient was on and what was the MBC and what was the MIC and what was the mechanism of action and therefore why were these drugs chosen and all I could think of was if I never set foot in a barn again it was too soon for me, and that when I had tried to examine this patient he'd nearly killed me with a hoof to the shoulder, and boy was I tired.

Those who do not have a background in clinical (or other) medicine will still be able to relate to the human story. Basically it's the story of a woman starting her first job after finishing her training, and having the Evil Boss of Doom -- who, as it happens, may actually not be completely heartless. Throw in a McDreamy (hot hunky surgeon) & you really can't lose, can you?

My only issue with this book is, it was short - I would have loved to keep reading more of Jane's adventures.

And, I'm going to leave it there. If you're curious, you can buy the book. Oh, and by the way, I have not been paid, bribed, or otherwise profited from reviewing this book. Fizzy did publicly request that people who had read the book please review it, so, being the people-pleaser that I am, I figured I'd go ahead.

Now I gotta run - my DBB has been feeling kinda poorly lately, and I want to give her some TLC.

1 comment:

  1. I just read that book based on Dr. Grumpy's recommendation as well--really enjoyed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete