Thursday, January 5, 2012

Do you really want nutrition info from the pet food store?

Really?
Now, I'm not saying some people in the pet food stores aren't educated about nutrition but I doubt that most are. What percentage of pet store employees do you suppose have a 2 or 4 year degree in animal nutrition?
I have an idea, the next time someone from a pet food store starts talking to you about nutrition, ask them to show you their degrees and certificates about their nutritional or animal health education.
I've never worked in a pet store, or pet food store. But I am highly suspicious that most of the recommendations made are due to current promotions by the manufacturer and are NOT based on your pet's health needs. I can easily buy the idea that the highest profit food may be pushed by the management. I'm just guessing here.
So I get upset when I make recommendations for a pet's diet, which may or may not be something I sell, and the pet store person suggests something else. Really, you want to match my 2 bachelor degrees and my Doctor of Veterinary degree as well as my licensing and 20 years of experience and continuing education against someone that isn't even 20 years old yet?