Monday, January 2, 2012

Out to lunch

So, out with the family today, and an old friend is in the parking lot outside the restaurant. We greet each other excitedly, as old friends do. We chit chat so long we start getting cold, so we go inside & keep talking. It's a nice visit & we are wrapping it up when he says "oh, by the way- it's great that I ran into you, because-" and proceeds to tell me about a strange problem his exotic pet (belonging to a species I haven't ever treated) has, and solicits my advice.

Sigh.

I want to help. I explain I don't really know much about it, and take a guess as what might be going on. I go on to say it's best if they take the pet to someone who sees that type of animal professionally, and suggest my friend drop me an email & I will write back with a referral (which I will need to try to find). I do think the problem will not just go away on its own.

I feel bad that I couldn't be more help. I hope my friend doesn't think less of me.

UPDATE: edited to fix typos.... Figured I'd also add that I did end up learning something from this when I contacted a friend who does see the species in question, and my friend sounded very very thankful for my meager assistance, so, I guess it's all good.

1 comment:

  1. It ok to let me folks know that you have a work day, and an office. They are welcome to call said office during business hours and you'd be happy to help them then!

    ReplyDelete